Fasting is a very popular method to cleanse your gut and reboot the entire system. However, none of the Indian fast is completed without a fasting food made of Sabudana or Sago(Tapioca Pearls).
Sabudana is small little pearl shaped food and is full of energy. Sabudana is not only gluten free but also is an excellent source of potassium. High potassium foods are encouraged to promote heart health. Sabudana helps lower cholesterol, improves digestion and is totally allergen free.
The numerous benefits make Sabudana a very popular food choice during Indian fasting. .
1 cup sabudana /sago soaked in water for 5- 6 hours
2 medium boiled cubed potatoes
1 medium chopped tomato
1 tbsp. crushed ginger
1 chopped green chili
1 tbsp. cumin seeds
¼ cup peanuts
1/8 cup cashew
Cilantro leaves chopped
Sendha salt /pink Himalayan salt - as per taste
1. The very first step is to prep Sabudana by soaking it in water for 5-6 hours or overnight, if you are going to cook in the morning. Drain all the water and let's keep sabudana ready for cooking.
2. Turn on heat in medium flame, and put a pan on it, add ghee on the pan.
3. Add cumin seeds on the pan. When cumin start turning brown, then add crushed ginger.
4. When crushed ginger turn a bit brown, add cashew nuts and peanuts to the pan. Roast until they turned brown. Peanuts bring crunchy flavor to our khichari.
5. Add boiled cubed potatoes and saute them with all the ingredients. Saute for 5-6 minutes and add Himalayan Pink salt.
6. Add sabudana from strainer to the pan and mix it well .
7. Some people do not eat tomatoes during fast , but if you do, add chopped tomatoes and mix it well.
8. Cover the lid for 5-6 minutes and set the flame to medium low.
9. Open the lid, mix all everything well. Now, for the flavor bust add lemon juice. Lemon juice gives this dish an amazing zesty taste.
10. Add chopped cilantro leaves and green chili as garnishing.
11. Serve hot with green chutney or if it's not your fast you can add Aloo Bhujiya ....Enjoy!!