This is my all time favorite breakfast, I can eat it everyday without my taste buds going bland. I am very happy that my kids love it too, so i can make it anytime whenever I want to eat with out my kids whining. Thick Flattened rice/poha is one of the healthiest and yummy Indian breakfasts. Poha is a good source of carbohydrates and iron, and is gluten free breakfast option for the people with gluten intolerance.
You can learn to make this healthy and quick breakfast by just following my steps. Poha is available in all the Indian grocery stores, just make sure that you pick the thick one.
2 cups thick flattened rice/thick poha
2 medium small cubed potatoes
1 medium cubed tomato(pick the red plum one)
1 medium chopped onion
2 tbsp of peanuts
2 tbsp broken cashew pieces (you can replace cashew with peanuts)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp mustard seed/Rai
1 tsp chana dal/gram lentil
2,3 curry leaves/Meethi neem
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 or 2 green chilies as per your taste.
Salt as per your taste.
1. Soak 2 cups of thick Poha into water for 4-5 minutes, make sure that it is all soaked properly.
2. After 4 minutes, strain water by using the colander (typically a larger bowl-shaped strainer/chalni) and let Poha stay there.
3. Now put the pan in medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil in it.
4. After 1 minute, add peanuts and cashew in the oil and stir it. Once peanuts and cashew turned brown then take them out in a plate, set aside
5. Now in the same pan, you can use residual oil, add add mustard seeds, Chana dal and curry leaves in it. If you like you can add 1/2 tsp oil and then add mustard seeds, Chana Dal and curry leave.
6. Stir it well. When mustard seed start to splatter and Dal seeds turns brown, add the chopped onion in it.
7. When onions turns translucent, then add cubed potatoes in the pan, stir it and mix 1/8 cup of water. Cover the lid on pan, it will speed up cooking potatoes.
8. After 5-6 minutes, open the lid and add salt, turmeric powder in it.
9. Close the lid again for 2-3 minutes wait for potatoes to get soften.
10. After potatoes are soften, add cubed tomatoes and saute it .
11. Add the green chilies, peanuts and cashew in the pan after tomatoes are soften.
12. Finally add the soaked thick Poha in the pan with potato,tomato and onion mix and stir it. When you will mix the Poha with all mixtures properly, it will turn yellow because of turmeric.
13. Add lemon juice into Poha and our breakfast is ready to serve.
Garnish with cilantro and serve hot. I like it with green chutney and Aloo bhujiya, it enhances the taste of this snack.