Kaddu or Pumpkin is not only tasty but it has so many health benefits too. It is a low Calorie food, high in potassium, fiber and packed with vitamin C – all required for a healthy heart. Just 15 grams of pumpkin contains a whopping 25-30 grams of fiber. Fiber rich food slow down sugar absorption to blood stream, helping digestion, regulate blood sugar and overall heart health.
With all the goodness of pumpkin, it is not just a Halloween decoration, it is a super-food !
1 tsp cumin seeds/Jeera
1 tsp fenugreek seeds/Meethi dana
pinch of heeng/asafoetida
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp garlic/ginger paste
1 tbsp Amchur powder/dry mango powder
1/2 tbsp Garam masala
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp turmeric powder/haldi
2 tbsp sugar
Salt as per taste
1/4 cut orange pumpkin /kaddu from Indian grocery store.
1. Wash pumpkin properly and peel the skin. Cut pumpkin in cubes.
2. Turn on the heat in medium flame and put a pan over it.
3. Put 1 tbsp oil in pan, add cumin seeds , methi seeds and a pinch of heeng to it.
4. After cumin seeds and methi seeds start to splatter, add ginger/garlic paste to it.
5.When ginger/garlic paste turns little brown, then add the cubed pumpkin inside the pan.
6. Mix cubed pumpkin with ginger/garlic paste, cumin and methi seeds and then add turmeric powder, salt and sugar.
7. Put 1/8 cup of water inside the pan with pumpkin, stir everything well and it cover the lid. Heat flame setting should be in medium.
8. Open the lid after 10 minutes and stir the content well.
9. Add cumin powder,coriander powder and amchur powder t and mash the pumpkin with the help of masher or a heavy spoon.
10. If pumpkin is not soft and you are not able to mash it, put a tbsp water and cover the lid for 3-4 more minutes .
11. Now add Gram Masala, chili powder and a little more salt and sugar as per your taste and mix it well.
12.Let it cook in open pan for 10 more minutes in medium heat, stir frequently.
Garnish with cilantro and serve with Poori or your favorite bread. Kaddu ki Subji can also be served as a side dish with any curry.