Sometimes when we get bored by eating plain rice,then lemon rice is a quick, easy and tasty replacement.
The distinctive taste of lemon and peanuts with rice will give your taste buds a new roller coaster. Whenever I am in hurry and still want some quick, healthy and spicy food, lemon rice is the good option. My kids love to eat lemon rice at their school lunch box too.
Lemon rice goes very well with Rasam and Sambhar.
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 tablespoon Ghee or unsalted butter
1 cup long grain Rice/basmati rice
1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
1 teaspoon rai/mustard seeds
1 teaspoon chana dal/gram lentil yellow
1 teaspoon black split urad dal
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
1 cup water
1 lemon (about 4 tablespoons juice of lemon)
chopped fresh cilantro
1. In Medium heat, melt Ghee or unsalted butter in a nonstick pan.
2. Add washed rice and water in pan. I used Basmati rice, but you can use any available rice. Sona masoori or Jasmin rice can also be used.
3. Turn flame in high heat setting and wait for water to boil.
4. After boil, reduce heat to low setting and cover pan with lid.
5. After 15 to 17 minutes, open lid and check the rice.
- If all water is evaporated and rice are done, then turn off the heat and take out plain rice in other plate or bowl.Set aside.
- If rice is not fluffy and there is still water then cover for 3-4 more minutes.
6. Switch on the heat to medium flame, you can use the same pan.
7. Add olive oil or any other cooking oil of your choice (Canola or Vegetable), add urad dal, cumin seeds, Rai and Chana dal in the pan.
8. When oil heats up and spices/added ingredients starts to splutter, add the peanuts in it.
9. After 4-5 minutes you will start getting aroma of roasted peanuts and you can see that peanuts are turning little brown. Add turmeric powder and salt.
10. Finally add the plain rice to the pan and mix it well with spices/other ingredients. The white rice will become yellow, well ! not magically but due to turmeric 🙂 .
11. Mix lemon juice to the rice and stir for 1 minute.
12. Turn off the heat . You can taste rice and if you like to add more salt or lemon, you can do so, according to your taste.
The Tasty, Zesty, Spicy Lemon rice is Ready !
Garnish with cilantro.
Serve hot with Tuvar dal, Rasam or Sambhar.