Aloo Palak or Potato-Spinach is a quick recipe to make in under 30 minutes. Not only is this dry veg delicious, it is packed with the goodness of Spinach, and the tastyness of Aloo.
You can quickly make this dry veg (sookhi subji) and enjoy with Roti/Paratha, OR it can greatly compliment a gravy such as Dal or Rajma.
1 tablespoon of oil
2 lb of washed, chopped spinach
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon of Ajwain
A pinch of heeng/asafoetida
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 green chili, chopped, or as per your taste
1.5 teaspoon of coriander powder/Dry Dhaniya
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder/Haldi
1 teaspoon of amchur (dried mango) powder
1/4 teaspoon of red chili powder, or to taste
3/4 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
Garam Masala, to sprinkle
Cilantro /Hari Dhaniya For Garnishing
1. Wash and chop the spinach, put it on a paper towel (in a single layer), and let them dry for some time. It will remove the excess water.
2. Peel, wash, and cube the potatoes - Set them aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, ajwain, and hing. Let them sizzle for a few seconds.
4. Then, add the spices - Turmeric, red chili powder, and salt. Mix the spices well to make the aromatic Masala.
5. Next, add the cubed potatoes, and saute it for 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/8 cup water and cover the lid for 5-6 minutes in medium heat.
6. After 5 minutes, open the lid and check if potatoes are cooked. (You can use a spoon or fork by pressing potatoes- if cooked, they should be punctured easily)
7. If the potatoes are not done, then cover it again for 3-4 minutes.
8. If the potatoes are done, then add the chopped spinach to the pan and mix it well.
9. Let it cook on medium heat, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
10. Now, add the coriander powder, amchur powder, and Garam Masala in the pan.
11. Let it cook for 2-3 more minutes, and then turn the flame off.
The Aloo Palak Subzi is ready!
Garnish it with cilantro, and serve with Roti/Paratha/Naan, or as a side dish with Dal/Curry.