Chilke wali moong dal, Mung Beans or split green beans is very light on the stomach. Back in India, if someone had a fever or some other illness, doctors suggested having Mung dal with medicine.
When I was sick, eating this dal made it worthwhile. I can drink 2-3 bowls of it as a soup and its still delicious! As a mother of two kids, I make it once a week. As a soup, Mung beans help weight loss. Split Mug Beans is very good to make a light khichadi too! Try it and you will love it! It’s super easy to make and light for your stomach.
1 cup Chilke wali Moong dal (Mung Dal/ Lentils)
2 cups of Water
1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric powder
Salt as per your taste
1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves, chopped finely
2 teaspoons of Oil/Ghee is best for this dal.
1 teaspoon of Cumin seeds
4-5 black peppers
A Pinch of Heeng/asafoetida
1.Wash Moong dal under running cold water till water runs clear. This is necessary step as store bought Mung dal can be polished. Make sure it is properly washed.
2. Put washed dal in a pressure cooker. Add 2 cup of water, turmeric powder, salt and close the lid.
3. Cook it for 4 whistles on medium heat.
4. After 4 whistles, turn off the flame and let the pressure get released by itself.
5.Open the lid of the pressure cooker.
6.Check the water consistency , if you want to add more water - you can. However- remember to add proportional salt as well per your taste.
Tadka / Tempering preparation:
1. Turn on the medium heat and put large spoon (chamcha) .
2. Add Ghee/oil in side the pan. I personally prefer Ghee as it brings on aromatic taste to Dal.
3. Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle a bit.
4. Now add crushed black peppers and cloves in it with pinch of heeng.
5. Add this tempering to dal and cover the lid making sure it doesn't splatter out.
6. Before serving mix it well, Server hot.