Kadhai Paneer is a very popular Paneer recipe among indian community. Kadhai Paneer is easy to cook recipe with goodness of colorful bell peppers and Paneer. Just as Wok is a pivotal vessel in Chinese cooking, Kadhai is an essential instrument in Indian cooking. Kadhai Paneer gets its name since it is cooked in an Indian Kadhai. However, today I have tried to cook Kadhai paneer in Chinese Wok, and it worked out very well.
Let’s get ready to cook this simple, colorful and tasty dish!!
200gm / 0.450lb Paneer /Indian Cottage cheese cut in big cubes
1 medium Tomato chopped
1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
1 medium Onion Chopped in big cubed form as you can see in picture
1 medium green pepper chopped in cubed or long form
1 medium red pepper chopped in cubed or long form ( any colorful bell pepper is good for this recipe)
1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1/4 tbsp Broken Cashew
1 tsp Methi (Fenugreek) Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
2 Green Chilies (Hari Mirch) chopped (as per your taste)
1 tbsp Oil or /Desi Ghee
1 tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder (as per your taste)
1 tsp Haldi Powder (Turmeric)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp coriander Powder (Dry Dhaniya Powder)
1 tsp Kitchen king Masala
Pinch of Hing / Asafoetida
4 tbsp Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt according to the taste
2 cups of water
1. Make sure to use colorful bell peppers for Kadhai Paneer. It brings on the colorful eye treat. Cut Bell peppers in big squares and Paneer as big cubes.
2. Mix chopped tomatoes and cashew together in a bowl and add 1/8 cup water in it and keep aside for 10 minutes , we will make puree of it later.
3. Turn on the flame in medium heat , put wok or Kadhai on it. Add oil, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and pinch of heeng in the wok.
4. Once the Cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds start to splutter then add chopped cubed onion and saute it.
5. After 2-3 minutes of stir, add Ginger-Garlic paste inside the wok and mix it well with onion.
6. After 2-3 minutes when the raw smell of Ginger-Garlic paste is gone then add assorted colorful bell peppers inside the wok. Isn't that seems so pretty to look at 🙂
7. Keep stirring the vegetables until onion start to turn translucent. Stir fry bell peppers . It will take around 5-6 minutes.
8. After stir frying, add cubed Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) to the wok and mix it well. Let it cook for another 3-4 minutes.
9. Add Haldi powder, chili powder and coriander powder in it. Stir it well and set the flame in medium -low heat. Wow ! Look at that bright colored dish !
9. Remember you set aside tomato, cashew and some water in a bowl a little earlier? It should have been soaked for 10 minutes or so now. We now need to make a puree of it.
10. Add the pureed mixture to the wok and stir it for 2 minutes.
12. After 2 minutes, add 1 tbsp tomato ketchup in it , it will enhance the flavor and texture of the gravy. Add 1 cup of water too and let it cook for 2-3 minutes again in medium/low heat.
13. Now add the Garam Masala and Kitchen King Masala , these spices will enhance taste of the gravy.
14. Add the heavy cream and 1 cup of water again (if you like kadhai paneer on the dry side then do not add water).
15. Finally after 3 minutes turn off the flame and add dry methi/kasoori meethi.
The yummy Restaurant style Kadhai Paneer is ready to serve!!!
Serving suggestion- Serve with steamed rice and Roti/Naan.