How to make Authentic Punjabi Chole Masala Recipe. Homemade chickpeas chole or Chana masala in easy step by step cooking in Instant pot recipe. A very popular dish in north India. The aromatic blend of spices, the texture and its protein packed nutrition value simply makes this too difficult to resist. try it and it would sure become a regular dish in your kitchen.
3 cups chole-chickpeas, soaked in enough water overnight or use 4 cups canned chickpeas.
4.5 cups + ½ cup water, ½ cup to be added later on for gravy .
2 tsp oil
2 bay leaves
2-3 green cardamom pods
3 black cardamom
1-2 cinnamon stick
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped ( I prefer red onion tasteful)
1.5 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 medium tomato chopped.
½ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp red chili powder, or to taste
1/2 tsp amchur powder/mango powder
2 tsp chole/chickpeas masala powder
salt, to taste
1-2 green chili, chopped fine, as per taste
1 tsp kasuri methi, crushed [dried fenugreek leaves]
2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp garam masala
1. In a large bowl soak 3 cups of chole (chickpeas) in enough water for 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Before starting Instant Pot, put your soaked chole in microwave safe bowl and boil for 6 minutes /or
boil in a pan cover for 6 minutes.
3.Turn on the Instant Pot in saute mode in medium heat.
4. Add oil, cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom into pot.
5.Once the cumin seeds start to splutter, add chopped onion and saute it. Do not let onion burn and stick in to the bottom of the pan.
6. After onion is translucent, add turmeric powder, chole masala, coriander Powder , Garam masala and a little bit salt(1/4 tsp), mix all the species with onion.
7. Add Ginger/Garlic paste and saute it with all the ingredients.
8. After 2 minutes add the chopped tomatoes in the pot and stir it.
7. Stir the mixture and add 1 cup water in to the mix wait for 3-4 minutes.
8. Now add the soaked and partially boiled Chole/chickpeas with 1/2 cup more water in to the pot.
9. Let all the ingredients simmer and mix for 3-4 minutes and now cancel the saute mode.
10. If anything is stuck to the bottom, de-glaze the pot properly , otherwise it will show burn sign . Close the lid with vent in sealing position.
11.Change the instant pot setting to pressure cook mode, set time for 45 minutes in high pressure.
12. After 45 minutes when the instant pot beeps, it means your Chole Masala is ready.
13. You can let pressure release on its own or if you are in hurry release the pressure manually.
14. Open the pot lid and add crushed Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and mix it well, it will bring on a very nice flavor.
Serving Suggestion : Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve hot with rice or your choice of Indian bread/Naan.