Kidey beans or popularly known as Rajma is an all time favorite in all of northern Indian kitchens. Although Kidney beans did not original in India (they were brought from Mexico) once arrived It became popular. Rajma Masala is prepared with the combination of beans and unique Indian spices to bring delicious authentic curry.
Rajma Masala is most popularly served with White steamed rice/Naan.
Whenever i think of making Rajma at home, I think about my mother. My mother makes the best Rajma and I still trying to make it to that level.
My uncle used to visit our house and said that he was thinking to eat something yummy and My mom made Rajma.
My mother still grinds all Masala by stone grinder. Now, we all have mixer grinder and even better the ready-made Rajma Masala Powder, so it’s very quick and easy to make this yummy dish.
1.5 cups rajma(light pink medium size one i am using), soaked in enough water overnight or use 3 cups canned kidney beans.
4.5 cups + ½ cup water, ½ cup to be added later on for gravy .
2 tsp oil
2 bay leaves
2-3 green cardamom pods
3 black cardamom
1-2 cinnamon stick
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped ( I prefer red onion tasteful)
1.5 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 Medium tomatoe,puree them.
2 tablespoon tomato sauce (if you do not have tomato sauce add 1 more tomato)
½ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp red chili powder, or to taste
1/2 tsp amchur powder/mango powder
2 tsp rajma masala powder if available
salt, to taste
1 tablespoon ghee or butter
1 inch ginger, cut into juliennes as availability
1-2 green chili, chopped fine, as per taste
1 tsp kasuri methi, crushed [dried fenugreek leaves]
2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1. In a large bowl soak 1.5 cups of Rajma (kidney beans) in enough water for 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Turn on the Instant Pot in saute mode and medium heat.
3. Add oil, cumin seeds, bay leaf,cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom.
4. Once the cumin seeds start to splutter, add chopped onion and saute it. Do not let onion burn and stick in to the bottom of the pan.
5.After onion is translucent, add turmeric powder, Rajma Masala, coriander Powder , Garam Masala and a little bit salt(1/4 tsp), mix all the species with onion.
6. Add ginger/garlic paste ,tomato puree and tomato paste and saute it with all the ingredients.
7. Stir the mixture and add 1 cup water in to the mix wait for 3-4 minutes.
8. Now add the soaked Rajma/kidney beans with 1/2 cup more water in to the pot.
9. Let all the ingredients simmer and mix for 3-4 minutes and now cancel the saute mode.
10. If anything is stuck to the bottom, deglaze the pot properly , otherwise it will show burn sign. Close the lid with vent in sealing position.
11. Change the instant pot setting to bean//chili mode in high pressure.
12. It will take approximately 40 minutes when the instant pot beeps, it means Rajma Masala is done.
13. You can let pressure release on by itself or if you can pressure manually by pressing knob located by valve labled as " Press to vent".
14. Open the pot lid and add crushed Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and mix it well, it will bring on very nice flavor.
The Rajma Masala is all Ready !
Serving Suggestion : Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve hot with rice or your choice of Indian bread/Naan.