Matar Paneer is popular vegetarian dish in North India. It consists of Green Peas (Matar) and Indian cottage cheese called Paneer. The tomato based gravy is mixed with Indian spices to produce unique flavour. The little sweetness of green peas and cream makes it very convenient dish for kids. Matar Paneer is very easy to make in pressure cooker.
It can also be made very easily in Instant pot.
200gm/0.450lb Paneer /Indian Cottage cheese cut in cubes
1 medium Tomato chopped
1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
1 medium Onion Chopped
1 cup peas /matar
1 tbsp Ginger,garlic paste(Adarak,Lahsaun paste)
2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped (as per your taste)
1 tbsp Oil or /Desi Ghee
1 tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder (as per your taste)
1 tsp Haldi Powder/Turmeric Powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander Powder(Dry Dhaniya Powder)
Pinch of Hing / Asafoetida
4 tbsp Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
1-2 small Cinnamon Sticks
1-2 green small cardamom (Elachi)
2-3 black peppers(Kali mirch)
1/8 cup heavy cream ( for Vegan version avoid it)
Salt according to the taste (I used 1 tbsp)
2 cups of water
1. Turn on the Instant Pot in saute mode in medium heat.
2. Add oil, cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and Cardamom.
3. Once the cumin seeds start to splutter, add chopped onion and saute it.
4. Add chopped tomato after 2 minutes and saute it too.
5. Stir it well. When tomatoes become soft (after 3-4 minutes), cancel the saute mode.
6. Take mixture out from Instant pot. Now add spices, tomato ketchup and onion-tomato mix in a blender jar and puree it. Wait for the pureed mixture to cool down.
7. Meanwhile, waiting for mixture to cool down , put Paneer cube inside the instant pot and just simmer them little in hot pan. (Do not turn Instant pot on)
8. Take out the Paneer out from the pot after 3-4 minutes, set aside.
9. Now, turn on the instant pot in saute mode and medium heat setting.
10. Put the gravy inside the instant pot.Stir it well.
11. Add turmeric powder,coriander Powder , Garam Masala , a little bit salt(1/4 tsp) and 2 cups water.
12. After mixing all the spices powder add paneer and peas in the gravy and mix it well.
13. If anything is stuck to the bottom of pot, deglaze the pot properly , otherwise it will show burn sign. Press cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
14. Change the instant pot setting to pressure cook mode for 5 minutes in high.
15. Once the instant pot beeps,you can let pressure release or if you are in hurry release the pressure manually.
16. Put some heavy cream on top, stir it well.
Garnish with Cilantro. The Matar paneer is ready !
Serving Suggestion : Serve hot with Rice/Roti or our choice of Naan.