Dum aloo is also my mom’s signature recipe. Everyone in my family and even relatives who ever tasted it while visiting loved the dish. My mom used to make gravy using fresh masala by grinding it on traditional Ammi Kal or Sil Batta. The aroma of those spices were so good that I still remember and can feel in my senses.
So back to our Dum Aloo, it is a combination of small potatoes that are slow-cooked in smooth, aromatic creamy sauce. It is super easy to make in Instant pot. I make Dum Aloo very often in my kitchen, because my kids and husband just love it so much. Now since its no longer practical to grind fresh masala, I use shelf available Garam Masala and dried fenugreek leaves. It still brings on a terrific aroma and yummy taste.
So, lets dive right in and enjoy this delicious Indian specialty Curry !!
10-12 Gourmet potatos, washed and peeled
1/2 cup Tomato Sauce, I used organic canned tomato sauce (You can make your own puree using 2 tomatoes and 1 tablespoon Ketchup)
1 medium Onion Chopped
1 tbsp Ginger, Garlic paste
2 Green Chilies / Hari Mirch chopped (as per your taste)
1 tbsp Oil or /Desi Ghee
1 tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder (as per your taste)
1 tsp Haldi Powder/Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Coriander Powder(Dry Dhaniya Powder)
1 tsp Cumin Powder
Pinch of Hing / Asafoetida
1-2 small Cinnamon Sticks
1-2 Bay leaves
2-3 black peppers(Kali mirch)
1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
1/2 cup yogurt (not sour) or You can use sour cream too.
Oil for frying potatoes.
Salt according to the taste (I used 1 tbsp)
2 cups of water
1. Wash Gourmet potatoes properly and then peel them. Peeling will take some time with these small potatoes 🙂
2. Poke / prick all over the potatoes well with the help of fork or tooth pick.This step will help Masala soaked inside potatoes. This needs some extra caution, you can hold one potato on one hand using fork and poke using other hand. Just be extra careful and not hurt yourself.
3. Now turn on heat on medium and deep fry poked potatoes in a wok or Kadhai. Just make sure potatoes to be deep fried, you need to put enough oil inside wok.
4. Deep fry potatoes until little golden brown and take them out in a paper towel. Set them aside
4. Put Onion, Ginger/garlic paste and some water inside the blender and make puree.
5. Turn on the Instant Pot in saute mode in medium heat.
6. Add oil, cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, heeng and black pepper.
7. Once the cumin seeds start to splutter, add onion puree with some water and saute it. You have to wait until onion is all cooked and water is vaporized. It will take approximately 4-5 minutes. Keep steering, so it will not stuck at the bottom of the pot.
8. Now add haldi, salt, Garam Masala, Cumin powder, coriander powder with some water and mix with onion. Stir it for 3-4 minutes.
9. Add tomato puree and some water now inside the pot and mix it well. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
10. Whisk yogurt with water and add it inside the gravy, stir it .This will give richness to the gravy.
11. Now add fried baby potatoes into gravy and mix it well. Wait for 3-4 minutes and then cancel the saute mode.
12. If anything is stuck to the bottom, de-glaze the pot properly, ensure burn sign is not on Instant pot. Press cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
15. Change the instant pot setting to pressure cook mode for 8 minutes in high.
16. Once the instant pot beeps, you can let pressure release by itself or if you are in hurry release the pressure manually.
Garnish with dried fenugreek leaves.
The creamy yummy Dum Aloo is ready to serve.
Serving suggestion- serve with steamed rice and Roti/Naan.
For vegan version if you eat nuts you can use cashew paste instead of yogurt. You can use big potatoes too but then you have to cut them in 3-4 pieces in size of small potatoes. If you do not like sour taste so much then you can use heavy cream or Malai instead of yogurt. Make your version as per your liking and let me know about your experience.