This is one of the healthy recipes that I love to share. Super easy to make, tasty flavor and all the healthy ingredients make it unique. When I tried this first time, my husband did not like to eat Lauki or many vegetables for that matter.
Once he tried it, he started liking it somewhat and now it is a regular dal in my Kitchen. Kids love to eat this protein packed full of nutrients dal and call it ” Daal Soup”.
Let’s dive right into this healthy delightful Daal Soup recipe.
1 medium (½ of big) Lauki (Bottle gourd) peeled and cubed
1 tsp. Oil or /Desi Ghee
1 tsp. Haldi Powder/Turmeric Powder
1 tsp. Garam Masala
2 tbsp. Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
4 tbsp. Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
Salt as per your taste (I used 1 tbsp.)
3 cups of water
1 tbsp. Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
1 tsp. Cumin Seeds / Jeera
1/2 tsp. Mustard Seeds / Rai
2 garlic cloves cut in small pieces
Pinch of Hing / Asafetida
2 Dried Red Chili, Whole (as per your taste)
2. Add dal in the pressure cooker with cubed Lauki, green chilies- if you are using them, 1 tsp. turmeric powder, 1 tsp. garam masala, salt, 3 cups water and 1 tsp. of oil.
4. 3 Whistles on medium heat , then turn the nob to medium/low (in between) wait for 5 minutes and turn off the flame.(total 4 whistles)
5. It will take 10 minutes to all pressure is gone manually.
6. After pressure is released, open the cooker and stir the dal. Sprinkle some green cilantro.
7. Make the tempering - Heat ghee in a small tadka pan or chamcha (on slow heat) add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and garlic clove pieces.
8. When it starts crackling add asafetida/heeng and whole red chilies if you are using.
9. Pour this tempering in the dal, cover it and let it simmer.
10. Open it after 2 minutes add lemon juice and 1 tbsp. of chopped cilantro.
Serving suggestion- serve with steamed rice and roti.