Mughlai cuisine was developed in the medieval culture of the Mughal Empire. It is a great fusion of Central and South Asian recipes, ingredients, and cuisines. Mughlai Recipe mainly uses nuts and saffron which produces the richness at the next level. It is said in history books that The Mughal Emperor Akbar had only vegetarian meals 3 days a week so the Royal Chefs were used to do experiment with vegetarian dishes to bring Royal flavors to the emperor’s food.
Mugalai Paneer is a royal dish made of cashew and saffron. I hope you will love it and experience the Royal Richness. My recipe is very easy to follow but will bring on the A Great Mughlai delight!
200gm/0.450lb Paneer /Indian Cottage cheese cut in a triangle shape
1 medium Onion Chopped
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 cup cashew
1 cup curd/plain yogurt (not sour)
2 Green Chilies (Hari Mirch) chopped (as per your taste)
1 tbsp Oil or /Desi Ghee
1 tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder (as per your taste)
1 tsp Haldi Powder (Turmeric Powder )
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp coriander powder (Dry Dhaniya Powder)
Pinch of Heeng / Asafoetida
4 tbsp Cilantro ( Hara Dhaniya) chopped
1-2 small Cinnamon Sticks
1-2 green small cardamom (Elaichi)
2-3 cloves (Laung)
6,7 black peppers (Kali Mirch)
1/4 cup Heavy cream
1 tbsp sugar
4-5 saffron strands
Salt according to the taste (I used 1 tbsp)
3 cups of water
1. Soak Cashews and 4-5 black peppers together in water for 15-20 minutes.
2. Boil the 1/4 cup heavy cream with 4-5 saffron strands for 2-3 minutes and put it aside.
3. Turn on the flame in medium heat, add 1 cup water, and chopped onion in it.
4.Boil the onion in water for 3-4 minutes so the raw smell will go away then turn off the heat.
5. Now add soaked cashew, black pepper, and boiled onion in a blender and make a puree.
6. Turn on the flame in medium heat and put on the pan. Add oil, bay leaf, Cinnamon stick, cloves, and cardamom.
3. After 2 minutes add the puree of onion, cashew, and black pepper inside the pan, stir it for 3-4 minutes and then add Ginger-Garlic paste with 1/8 cup water in it and mix it.
4. After 2 minutes, add 2 cups of water in it and let it cook for 5-6 minutes on medium heat, cover the lid.
5. Open the lid after 5 minutes, stir it and add coriander powder, Garam Masala, chili powder, sugar,1 cup water, and a little bit of salt(1/4 tsp).
6. Mix all the spices well and let them cook for 5 - 6 minutes. After that add beaten curd/plain yogurt with 1/8 cup water in the gravy. Mix it well.
7. Now add Paneer pieces to the pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. After 3 minutes, add saffron strands and Heavy cream to it.
8. Let it cook in medium heat for 2-3 more minutes and then turn off the flame.
The Royal Mughlai Dish is ready !!
Garnish with some cashew pieces and saffron strands, serve hot with Naan or Rice.