Mughlai cuisine was developed in medieval culture of Mughal Empire. It is the the great fusion of Central and South Asian recipes, ingredients and cuisines. Mughlai Recipe mainly uses nuts and saffron which produces the richness at next level. It is said in history books that The Mughal Emperor Akbar had only vegetarian meals for 3 days in a week
so the Royal Chefs were used to do experiment with vegetarian dishes to bring Royal flavors in emperor’s food.
Mugali Paneer is a royal dish made by cashew and saffron. I hope you will love it and experience the Royal Richness. My recipe is very easy to follow but will bring on the A Great Mughlai delight !
200gm/0.450lb Paneer /Indian Cottage cheese cut in triangle shape
1 medium Onion Chopped
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 cup cashew
1 cup curd/plain yogurt (not sour)
2 Green Chilies (Hari Mirch) chopped (as per your taste)
1 tbsp Oil or /Desi Ghee
1 tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder (as per your taste)
1 tsp Haldi Powder (Turmeric Powder )
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp coriander Powder (Dry Dhaniya Powder)
Pinch of Heeng / Asafoetida
4 tbsp Cilantro ( Hara Dhaniya) chopped
1-2 small Cinnamon Sticks
1-2 green small cardamom (Elaichi)
2-3 cloves (Laung)
6,7 black peppers (Kali mirch)
1/4 cup Heavy cream
1 tbsp sugar
4-5 saffron strands
Salt according to the taste (I used 1 tbsp)
3 cups of water
1. Soak Cashews and 4-5 black peppers together in water for 15-20 minutes.
2. Boil the 1/4 cup heavy cream with 4-5 saffron strands for 2-3 minutes and put it aside.
3. Turn on the flame in medium heat, add 1 cup water and chopped onion in it.
4.Boil the onion in water for 3-4 minutes so the raw smell will go away then turn off the heat.
5. Now add soaked cashew, black peeper and boiled onion in a blender and make a puree.
6. Turn on the flame in medium heat and put on the pan. Add oil, bay leaf, Cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom.
3. After 2 minutes add the puree of onion, cashew and black pepper in side the pan, stir it for 3-4 minutes and then add Ginger-Garlic paste with 1/8 cup water in it and mix it.
4. After 2 minutes, add 2 cups of water in it and let it cook for 5-6 minutes in medium heat, cover the lid.
5. Open the lid after 5 minutes, stir it and add coriander Powder , Garam Masala , chili powder, sugar,1 cup water and a little bit salt(1/4 tsp).
6. Mix all the spices well and let it cook for 5 - 6 minutes. After that add beaten curd/plain yogurt with 1/8 cup water in the gravy. Mix it well.
7. Now add Paneer pieces to the pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. After 3 minutes, add saffron strands and Heavy cream in it.
8. Let it cook in medium heat for 2-3 more minutes and then turn off the flame.
The Royal Mughlai Dish is ready !!
Garnish with some cashew pieces and saffron strands, serve hot with Naan or Rice.