Shahi paneer is an Indian delicacy that contains its virtue in it’s name itself, since the word Shahi means Royalty. The goodness of the cream and clarified butter provides Shahi paneer it’s unique richness. The Indian cottage cheese cube (known as Paneer) is an integral part of the dish.
Shahi paneer is the star food attraction of most Indian weddings, festivals and celebratory events. Let’s walk through how to make this royally delicious curry!
200gm/0.450lb Paneer /Indian Cottage cheese cut in cubes
1 medium Tomato, chopped
1 medium Onion, Chopped * - I used a white/yellow onion for this gravy.
1 tbsp of Ginger -Garlic paste(Adarak- Lahsaun paste)
6 to 7 pieces of almond and 10,15 cashews, Or as per your taste.
1/2 cup of curd /yogurt/Dahi
2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped ( or as per your taste)
1 tbsp of Oil or /Desi Ghee
1 tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder ( or as per your taste)
1 tsp of Haldi Powder/Turmeric Powder
1 tsp of Garam masala
1 tsp of Coriander Powder (Dry Dhaniya Powder)
A Pinch of Hing / Asafoetida
4 tbsps of Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
1-2 small Cinnamon Sticks
1-2 green small cardamom pieces (Elachi)
2-3 black peppers(Kali Mirch)
1/4 cup of heavy cream ( for a Vegan version, don't use it)
Salt according to your taste (I used 1 tbsp)
3 cups of water
- Put a pan on medium flame, and then heat the oil/ghee, and add the almond and cashew pieces.
2. Roast the nuts for 2-3 minutes, and then add chopped onions, ginger-garlic paste and stir it for 3-4 minutes.
3. Now, add the chopped tomatoes and mix it. Stir it, and when tomatoes get soft after 3-4 minutes, switch off the flame.
4. Take out the mixture from the pan, put it inside a blender jar, and wait for it to cool down.
5. While waiting for the mixture to cool down, turn on the heat to medium in the same pan as before and put the paneer cubes inside it. Fry the paneer/cottage cheese pieces for 3 to 4 minutes and then switch off the flame.
6. Take out the semi-fried Paneer from the pan. The onion, nut, and tomato mixture should have cooled down by now, so put the paneer aside, and puree the mix properly.
Now, it's time to make the gravy using the pureed mixture.
7. Heat up the pan to the medium setting, and add 1/2 tbsp oil/ghee. Add cinnamon sticks, cardamom, cloves, and black peppers. Stir for 2 minutes.
8. After 2 minutes, add the pureed mixture to a pan, and stir occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
9. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, Garam Masala, salt (about 1/4 tsp), and 2 cups of water.
10. After 1 minute add the tomato puree, simmer until the mixture turns golden, and then add 1/2 cup water. Mix everything well, cover it with a lid, and heat in medium setting. After 5 minutes open it and put the curd in it, and stir it properly using a spoon.
11. Switch the to flame medium/low and after 2 minutes put 1/4 cup of heavy cream and stir it using a spoon.
12. Add fried Paneer, stir it for 1-2 minutes, and switch off the flame.
The Delicious Shahi Paneer is ready, Congratulations! Admire your work and enjoy!
Serve hot with 1 tsp of Ghee, Heavy cream on top, and garnish with Cilantro.
Serve with steamed rice and Roti/naan