Aloo Palak or Potato Spinach gravy combines everyone’s’ favorite vegtable, Aloo, and the mighty Spinach to bring a great tasting Gravy. The inclusion of Spinach makes it a great Iron packed dish to savor everyone’s taste buds. If you love to eat Palak Paneer , then Palak Aloo gravy is an equally good choice. This dish is vegan and lighter than Palak paneer. It is also a good choice if you do not have Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) available or if you are under any dietary restriction. Palak or Spinach is loaded with iron and other nutrients and Aloo (Potatoes) have vitamins, minerals and starch in them. Enjoy!
For the Gravy
1.5 Pounds Of Washed Spinach Leaves
3 Medium Cubed Potatoes- For Quicker Cooking Use Boiled Ones
1 Medium Chopped Tomato
1 Medium Chopped Onion
1 Tablespoon Of Ginger Garlic Paste
1 Teaspoon Of Haldi/Turmeric
1/2 Teaspoon Of Jeera/Cumin
A Pinch Of Hing/Asafetida
1 Teaspoon Of Coriander Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Of Garam Masala
Red Chili Powder As Per Your Taste
Salt As Per Your Taste
1-2 green chilies(As per taste)
2-3 dried red chilies (As per taste)
1 tsp Mustard seeds/Raai
1/2 tsp red chili powder
3 tbsp mustard oil, ghee or any vegetable oil
1. Wash the spinach leaves properly.
2. Boil the leaves inside a pan or microwave for five minutes.
3. When the leaves cool down, puree them in a blender with 1/2 cup of water. After pureeing,the volume of the spinach will be about 1 quart(950ml).
4. Put a pan on medium heat and put 1 tablespoon of oil/ghee inside.
5. Add cumin and heeng to the pan.
6. When the cumin starts crackling, add the chopped onions and the ginger garlic mix.
7. When the onions turn translucent, add the turmeric, chopped tomatoes, and a little bit of salt.
8. Mix the contents of the pan properly and wait for the tomatoes to soften.
9. 3-5 minutes later when the tomatoes soften and are thoroughly cooked, add the cubed potatoes to the pan and mix well.
10. If you used boiled potatoes then leave the pan uncovered, and if you used unboiled potatoes then add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and cover for 5 minutes on medium heat.
11. After 5 minutes, put the coriander powder, Garam Masala, and red chili powder in the pan and mix.
12. Check if the potatoes are cooked, and then add the spinach puree inside the pan and mix it.
13. Add 2 cups of water in the pan and mix well.
14. Keep the heat at medium and cover the pan.
15. After 8 minutes, remove the cover, stir the pan, and cover it again for 8-10 more minutes.
16. When you uncover the pan, open the lid and let the gravy cook for 15-20 minutes.
17. Switch the flame off and cover the lid of the pan.
18. Heat the ghee/oil in a deep small pan on medium heat. Add 3,4 curry leaves and mustard seeds in the pan.
After 2 minutes, when the Mustard seeds start sizzling, add Red Chilies and/or Green Chilies. Do not overheat them, or else it will burn. Pour the tadka/tempering on the Kadhi.
Garnish it with cilantro leaves.
The Delicious Aloo Palak Gravy is ready !!
Serving Suggestion :
Serve Aloo Palak with Rice and Chapati.